The Wonderful World of Pest Control

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pest control can be fun

I know what you're thinking: Pest control is work. Pest control is a chore. Pest control sucks. Well I'm here to change your mind. I'm the guy  who's gonna make this fun. When you're done reading my posts, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you may do a cartwheel or something. Remember, you own you're reaction. You're allowed to express you're jubilation in whatever manner you see fit. As long as it isn't yawning indifference. I've long been a fan of the What's that Bug Blog. Let's say it's inspired me to entertain you with my own quips and quandaries on the subject. Are you ready? Let's get into this.

A little bit about my history with pest control: I moved into a new home in what I would call a neighborhood with potential. You know the deal; the gutters were askew, the yard was more dirt than grass, and the water was a little brown. But I was dead set on not only making this place livable; I was going to make it nice.



Now, I've always had a fear of bugs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing pathological. I just didn't and don't think our species should observe cohabitation. Suffice it to say, I have no problem stomping the life out of one. I'll occasionally make an exception for a spider -- as they supposedly kill lots of nasty bugs (or so every person that's not afraid of spiders will tell you).

My new home had a serious bug problem. The walls seemed to move with unwanted visitors. There were bugs in attic, bugs in the sink, bugs in the garage, and worst of all; there were bugs in the kitchen. There was a roach so big in my washing machine, I could've saddled the thing and ridden it to work. I didn't have the money to call an exterminator, and I had no experience with pest control on this scale. This was going to take more than a can of Raid or a rolled up copy of People. This was going to take some elbow grease.